Warehousing is defined as receiving loads coming from a particular point, saving them in the given period and preparing them for transporting to a particular point. The length of storage life differentiates the type of warehouses. The length of the storage life has long been called the Warehouse, shorter storage life called Distribution Center and much shorter called Transshipment Center.
Warehousing includes transactions essentially; controlling, receiving, location, counting, collection, transportation.
management system (WRS)
WRS is a key part of the supply chain and primarily aims to control the movement and storage of materials within a warehouse and process the associated transactions. A WMS monitors the progress of products through the warehouse. It involves the physical warehouse infrastructure, tracking systems, and communication between product stations.
Warehouse management systems often utilize automatic identification and data capture technology such as barcode scanners, mobile computers, wireless LANs to efficiently monitor the flow of products.
The more technological basement in the warehouse management systems, leading to the more efficiency in the all transactions of warehousing and firms stated as in the following:
• Less damages of goods
• Receiving and transporting goods lead to increasing efficiency in production and sale process
• Managing the storage equipment efficiently and effectively
• Saving on expenses of employees and equipment.
• Simplifying and improving controlling and accounting processes
• Intervening production oriented faults in time and increasing customer satisfaction.